Questions about the 9th and 10th in Norwalk

Talk about up coming Rallies, Fests & other events.

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

kindaquick

Questions about the 9th and 10th in Norwalk

Post by kindaquick » Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:49 pm

I have been fighting the idea of driving my hawk to Norwalk for the rally for the last few months. I am in Columbus, OH so it isn't that far, but I just hate to drive the hawk anywhere except in town. My wife really doesn't care about it, so I will probably be by myself (making it less desirable) but I still think I might go. I have some questions though, so hopefully someone can help a fellow hawk owner out on some of them.

1. Is the cruise on Saturday? What time?

2. I am not a member of FAOA, so can I still show up and hang with other owners?

3. I don't think I will be there for both days. Is that a problem? Is there a "best day" to be there? I was thinking Sunday...so I could perhaps run my car down the strip a few times.

4. It says that there will be free time trials on Sunday. What time are they? How many runs do people tipically get to run?

5. Is there an itinerary posted anywhere that would detail both days schedule?

If there is any other reasons that you guys can give me for attending, that would be helpful motivation to do it 8)

Thanks in advance guys! Maybe I will see you all there!
-Dan Meginnis
2001 Formula Firehawk A4. Build #96

HawkLT1

Post by HawkLT1 » Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:42 pm

First of all, I reside in CA now and have been to 5 (I think) of the Rally's so far. I have driven to most of them and twice from CA. This is the reason I decided to do a west coast version and call it the FirehawkFest, as it was a bit of a drive for a 2 day event.
It is a great event and I will be there again this year (w/o car :( ) but I will be there.
The cruise is on Sat night just after the dinner.
The event is open to all. It does pay to belong to the FAOA though as they give out their own trophies and prizes. Prizes like a set of tires and LOTS more, but it is open to all and you can park with the group and hang out with us; no problem.
If you can only do one day, it's a toss-up. The dinner and cruise are on Sat and the racing and trophies are on Sunday. You could show up on Sunday and still get judged for the car show(s) and race if you want to.
The free time trials are very unpredictable. Last year just before the racing action one of thebig boys blew his engine and it took forever to clean up and there were very few if any time trials. I know one year there were none. I had just had to guess what my dial in was. That was fun!
The schedule is quite simple:
Friday night be at the host hotel and clean and shine your car in the parking lot and mingle with the group and have a few adult beverages. On Saturday there is the car show and the Ames national Pontiac car show, swap meets, drag racing and more stuff. Then on Sunday its more of the same with the FAOA drag racing event, the FAOA awards and prize give-aways and then the Ames trophies are presented.
I don't know what the numbers are for repeat entrants, but it must be awfully high. Once you go, there is a real good chance you will be hooked.
Hope to see you there. It is a LOT of fun :wink:
Bob D
Bob Deffenbaugh -
Originator of the west coast "FirehawkFest"
Board Moderator
Ex-Double Firehawk Owner
1993 #110 and 2002 #104

Elizabeth Harris

More Good Reasons...

Post by Elizabeth Harris » Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:28 pm

If you live in Ohio and don't go, it is really a shame!!

I live in Columbus, Ohio also. It's about 125 miles or a two hour drive. The first year I drove up and back on Saturday and Sunday. The second year, I stayed overnight on Saturday. This year, I reserved three days, one to go to Cedar Point with friends.

I thought about joining for a while and finally did in 2001. I wish I would have done so sooner. The people have all been friendly, and the prizes and events are great fun. When you are with other Firehawk owners at this car show, they will welcome you; you won't get kicked out for having a newer car (like I was in Lansing MI this past weekend, haha!)

The banquet and the cruise are enjoyable, and another opportunity to mingle. I don't often like to go to car shows by myself, but I would make an exception in this case.

Since the Firehawk had rather limited production, we all should encourage other Firehawk owners to join. The membership fee isn't even as much as some other car clubs.

The Norwalk $35 two day admission ($25 Sunday) includes a lot of refreshments and a buffet dinner. It's a good deal. The car show that I am cutting back on is the Dayton Trans Am Nationals. I wasn't even going to go again, but they added a Firehawk class this year.

Oh oh--and watch out for Bob D.!! He hasn't even arrived in Ohio yet and he's already got me committed to buying Firehawk Fest Shirt. Last year, it was a Firehawk watch. You go, Bob!! :roll:

Elizabeth Harris

kindaquick

Post by kindaquick » Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:07 am

I suppose it is really too late to become a member, and get my car judged at the show. What does it take?
-Dan Meginnis

HawkLT1

Post by HawkLT1 » Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:16 am

You can join right at the show. Just see Wayne Thomas, our president, and he can set you up. He will be at the tent where all the Firehawks will be parked. Just ask around, you'll get all set up. No Problem! :D
Bob D
Bob Deffenbaugh -
Board Moderator
Ex-Double Firehawk Owner
1993 #110 and 2002 #104

kindaquick

Post by kindaquick » Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:00 am

Ahh good deal. I have a question about the application though. I don't know what the definition of the "Option Groups" are. They are listed as 1SA, 1SB, 1SC, and 1SD. Where do I look for these, and what do they mean?

Also, not to be a pain, but are you positive I can sign up and be eligible right there at the show? I think I am going to try to make it for Sunday only. Do you think there would be a problem getting my car entered for prizes, etc? I am kinda a pessimistic thinker, and want to be sure :)

What time on Saturday, and Sunday does Norwalk open up?

Thanks for all your help!!!
-Dan Meginnis

HawkLT1

Post by HawkLT1 » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:02 am

You can always email Wayne Thomas and ask him directly, but I am positive you can join up at the event. You can email Wayne at: wayne@waynethomas.com
The option groups are mainly for the older cars. The newer ones only have one or two options anyway. Wayne will have the forms at the show and you can fill it out there if you want.
I think the track at Norwalk opens at 8AM, maybe even 7AM. Or, you can camp on the grounds if that is what you want and then you'll be right there when they open up! At least they always had camping as option before.
The prizes are given away at the same time as the trophies are awarded and that is just before the Ames people give away their awards. It is usually around 3-4PM, I think.
If I am wrong in any of this, someone will post the correction here. See you in about 3 weeks.
Bob D
Bob Deffenbaugh -
Board Moderator
Ex-Double Firehawk Owner
1993 #110 and 2002 #104

kindaquick

Post by kindaquick » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:41 am

Thanks for your help Bob!
-Dan Meginnis