Hood/bumper fitment question, please help...

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

223Hawk

Re: Hood/bumper fitment question, please help...

Post by 223Hawk » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:27 pm

Yeah Mine doesnt set that high but its a prob an 1/8 of an inch or so..but what it looks like the top of the bumper has rolled down making the emblem stick up higher...look at the gaps by the hood grills and then go up towards the emblem..its rolled down not up..The gap gets bigger. I would guess that the bumper has been off the car before. I would have someone that knows what they are doing like a body shop and have them adjust the bumper to the hood and fenders. Dont have them move the hood like everyone else says..Fiberglass has its weak spots..

My Big Sister lives in SLT..Im up that way every now and again!
2000 Hawk #223 234/246 - Monster 3 - Strange 12 Bolt- Nitrous- 569Hp/523Tq

PhoenixRising

Post by PhoenixRising » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:40 pm

Thanks again!

Let me know when you are in StL...I would love to check out your Hawk!

223Hawk

Post by 223Hawk » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:58 pm

If the weather would ever get decent I would take a weekend to go..but its nothing but rain for the last month here at the Lake...5 or 6 days the last month that it hasnt raind..
2000 Hawk #223 234/246 - Monster 3 - Strange 12 Bolt- Nitrous- 569Hp/523Tq

02hawk796

Post by 02hawk796 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:54 am

PhoenixRising wrote:I put the hood back where it was immediately. I didn't drive it at all like that.

I am located in Saint Louis (Wildwood) more specifically.

Thank you very much for posting those pictures...I REALLY appreciate it.

It seems to me that there is room for my bumper to be adjusted downwards a bit, but that the badge will always sit a little higher. I am currently not happy with the way it is looking and will eventually get it to a body shop to try to adjust it. I love the badge itself, but almost wish it wasn't even there.
This is generally speaking because I don't recall right now the exact specifics of our bumpers.
When the bumper mounting points are "spread out" or widened, the center raise will "flatten out" or lower, and with the mounting points pushed in, or towards each other, then the curves and contours become more pronounced, like bunching up. Think if you fold a piece of paper into an accordian - pulling the edges of the paper apart makes all the peaks and throughs even out, less pronounced - but pushing the edges of the paper together makes all the highs and lows more exxagerated. Then you can pull the edges about half open, and twist your hands so the edges are like / \ and then \ / and see how the contours change. Once your bumper is "flexed" the way it matches, then tighten the bolts to keep it there. These pieces are designed to be flexed this way to match the countours of the hood. The hoods, both factory original, and the Hawk hoods, are not all the same, the molds are changed about every 1,500 hoods "stamped" (not actually stamped anymore) and the first hood in a series is not the same as the last hood in the series, so all the quarter panels and bumpers are intended to be adjustable to match the hood after it is installed.
2002 T/A Firehawk Convertible #0796 BlackEbonyBlack 6-spd, WI Plate "OH2 HAWK"
GM: TCS, Hurst, 12CD, Last of the Breed
SLP: Bilstein, Chromes, Cover, Floor Mats, Rear Deck Mat, Portfolio
SLP After: Skip-shift Eliminator, Customized Rear Deck Mat

kensautobody

Post by kensautobody » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:17 pm

You will not be able to do anything with the fit! You have a factory front cover with an add-on badge! It appears in your shots that the rest of the hood aligns fine. You are going to have to live with it or alter the lines of your hood, ie: build up the center nose portion to meet the badge and refinish the hood! Sorry for the bad news!

John

CompTA13

Post by CompTA13 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:51 pm

We are in Memphis yet we head north to big cedar lodge often .... cruise time ?
1985 Firebird 468BBC (her track car)
1995 Comp T/A #13 (my project)
1999 Anniversary Trans Am #349 (his)
2000 Convertible Trans Am 540ci twin 88mm turbo street car (my track car)
2002 Firehawk #189 (hers)