Hood/bumper fitment question, please help...

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

PhoenixRising

Hood/bumper fitment question, please help...

Post by PhoenixRising » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:50 pm

I am a new Formula Firehawk owner and have a question regarding the fitment of my hood and bumper. I would really appreciate some help. I will do my best to describe what is happening. Currently, the Firehawk logo sits above the hood. To me, this does not seem correct. It seems to me that the logo would fit flush with the hood. But, I suppose it may also make sense that the hood and bumper are flush and the logo sits above the hood. Please take a look at these pictures and let me how it should be sitting.

The piece in question:

Side view. See how the piece sits above the hood? Is this correct?

The car...you can even see it in this pic:

Any input will be appreciated...pics of your bumper/hood fitment would be awesome!

02hawk796

Re: Hood/bumper fitment question, please help...

Post by 02hawk796 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:49 am

PhoenixRising wrote:I am a new Formula Firehawk owner and have a question regarding the fitment of my hood and bumper. I would really appreciate some help. I will do my best to describe what is happening. Currently, the Firehawk logo sits above the hood. To me, this does not seem correct. It seems to me that the logo would fit flush with the hood. But, I suppose it may also make sense that the hood and bumper are flush and the logo sits above the hood. Please take a look at these pictures and let me how it should be sitting.

The piece in question:

Side view. See how the piece sits above the hood? Is this correct?

The car...you can even see it in this pic:

Any input will be appreciated...pics of your bumper/hood fitment would be awesome!
Are you in MI?
I cannot view your pics at photobuchet. Shall we assume you have an LS1? Do you know your year and build number?
Are you referring to the emblem on the center of the front bumper between the scoops?
2002 T/A Firehawk Convertible #0796 BlackEbonyBlack 6-spd, WI Plate "OH2 HAWK"
GM: TCS, Hurst, 12CD, Last of the Breed
SLP: Bilstein, Chromes, Cover, Floor Mats, Rear Deck Mat, Portfolio
SLP After: Skip-shift Eliminator, Customized Rear Deck Mat

PontiacFan

Post by PontiacFan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:47 am

02hawk796 wrote: I cannot view your pics at photobuchet. Shall we assume you have an LS1? Do you know your year and build number?
Are you referring to the emblem on the center of the front bumper between the scoops?
Hmm, ..., I can see'em, ..., do ya have a worksite filter?

Yes, the emblem on the center of the front bumper, between the scoops.

I gotta admit, that really looks odd. No, it is NOT suppose to be that way at all.
Does the hood sit too low in the nostril area, & can it be 'lifted' to help with this alignment?
Can the center section of the bumper be 'pulled down' to help with this alignment?

That really looks weird, ...

PhoenixRising

Post by PhoenixRising » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:00 am

I am located in Missouri.

Damn...I thought you might say that. I tried to adjust the bump stops for the hood, but then the hood sat too high in relation to the headlights.

I think the bumper itself is sitting too high. Unfortunately, I don't think that will be as easy to fix as simply twisting a bump stop.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Just to vent a little...the hood/bumper fitment on my 2002 WS6 sucked too... :roll:

Firehawk197

Post by Firehawk197 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:22 pm

With my 94 I know that i can kinda wiggle it where the hood mounts. Just unbolt and slide back a little or side to side... Like i said its just little but then again im not sure if yours are the same as mine
94 Firehawk #197 Daily Driver

No Blue Bottle, Just Balls and Throttle

PhoenixRising

Post by PhoenixRising » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:05 pm

Firehawk197 wrote:With my 94 I know that i can kinda wiggle it where the hood mounts. Just unbolt and slide back a little or side to side... Like i said its just little but then again im not sure if yours are the same as mine
I am not quite sure what you mean. If I raise the hood to meet the Firehawk logo, the hood won't be flush with the headlights.

Does anybody with a Formula Firehawk have any pictures they could show me? I would really appreciate it.

Scott Chab

Post by Scott Chab » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:06 pm

Since the hood and bumper are supposed to line up and the Firehawk badge is stuck on top of the bumper, it is naturally going to be higher than the hood.
'94 Hawk #110
Back on the road helping me make bad decisions again

223Hawk

Post by 223Hawk » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:15 pm

Mine sets a bit higher also..Iv spend many hrs on mine..and its not much better than yours..Where are you located in Missouri?
2000 Hawk #223 234/246 - Monster 3 - Strange 12 Bolt- Nitrous- 569Hp/523Tq

02hawk796

Post by 02hawk796 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:30 am

PhoenixRising wrote:I am located in Missouri.

Damn...I thought you might say that. I tried to adjust the bump stops for the hood, but then the hood sat too high in relation to the headlights.

I think the bumper itself is sitting too high. Unfortunately, I don't think that will be as easy to fix as simply twisting a bump stop.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Just to vent a little...the hood/bumper fitment on my 2002 WS6 sucked too... :roll:
DO NOT adjust the hood. As soon as possible, put the hood back to where you found it while you can still remember/visualize it. If you raised the bump stops, the hood woill now be strained and flexed between the hood catch and the stops - creating stress cracks in the hood. If the stops are too low, there will be too much play, and wind force will create vibration and cause stress cracks, and twisting of the frame (going over bumps, diagonally entering driveways, gutters, etc) will allow sideways or twisting forces on the hood.

The hood must be the first piece to be fitted in the correct position and tension. After that, the quarter panels and front bumper are adjusted to match the hood and each other. after that, the headlamp covers are adjusted to match the rest.

The bumper is adjustable , not too hard as i recall. Looking down (with hood open) into the cavity behind the nose, you should see several bolts with large fender washers on them, and each of these has a slotted hole fort he bumper attachment to frame. Some of these are facing up (bolt head directly visible from above) and some are horizontal, bolt head visible as sideview, I think the bolt head was facing the engine, but they could be facing any direction. These are the ones which should be loosened and adjusted for the bumper top match the hood and the quarterpanels. Only do this after putting your hood back where you found it, or better yet have a professional put your hood back where is should be before messing with the rest. Obviously you don't care about voiding any warranty, but the hoods are very hard to come by, so you should try to avoid causing stress cracks or other damage to the hood.

Is this some after-market thing, was it a real Firehawk, or a clone? Had an accident needing replacement of the front bumper?

The two sections between lamp cover and scoop need to have the bumper and hood aligned, like if there was a straight line hovering at that angle. The bottom well of each scoop should be aligned as if a straight line was almost horizontal. The curves of the scoops should be aligned the same, so that all surfaces appear flush. From a distance, they should look like a continuous curve, albeit with brief breaks, which are the panel lines. The curves and contours should not look broken or dented. Look at the rear hatch liines and curves, and the doors, to se how the panels meet without distorting the contours.
2002 T/A Firehawk Convertible #0796 BlackEbonyBlack 6-spd, WI Plate "OH2 HAWK"
GM: TCS, Hurst, 12CD, Last of the Breed
SLP: Bilstein, Chromes, Cover, Floor Mats, Rear Deck Mat, Portfolio
SLP After: Skip-shift Eliminator, Customized Rear Deck Mat

BlackHawk99

Post by BlackHawk99 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:38 am

I had a thread on this a while ago too. Never did anything about it.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5802
1999 #496

nick1236

Post by nick1236 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:40 am

I wouldn't do anything with it. It looks fine. The emblems sits ontop of the bumper so naturally its gonna be raised. Look at the rest of the car, everything else matches perfect. Leave it how it is.
Nick W
BDM 1457 Chase/Pits
1995 Pontiac Firehawk #639
1993 F350 4x4 aka the White Whale
2008 Kawasaki ninja 650ex

PontiacFan

Post by PontiacFan » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:26 am

I think it looks screwed up for some reason.
Here's mine.
(I just took these, & had the car out the day, so it it's still dirty & got bugs on it, I know, ...)

I think the top of the hood, & the emblem should be better aligned.

nick1236

Post by nick1236 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:48 am

well after seeing pontiacfan's, yours does look different. It looks like the SOM hawk's emblems is bigger, compared to the black one.
Nick W
BDM 1457 Chase/Pits
1995 Pontiac Firehawk #639
1993 F350 4x4 aka the White Whale
2008 Kawasaki ninja 650ex

PontiacFan

Post by PontiacFan » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:05 pm

I think they're the same size.
Mine is about 3-1/4" wide tip to tip, & about 2-1/4" tall in the mid-section.
And the thickness at the top-center is about 9/32".

While I had the hood open, I noticed that I could easily 'push-down' in the center section of the bumper.
But with the 'push-pins' holding everything in the general area, there as no 'holding it in place', & it would flex rigth back up to where it started. But I'd bet there's something you could do to bring that center area down a bit to get the alignment a bit closer.

PhoenixRising

Post by PhoenixRising » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:56 pm

I put the hood back where it was immediately. I didn't drive it at all like that.

I am located in Saint Louis (Wildwood) more specifically.

Thank you very much for posting those pictures...I REALLY appreciate it.

It seems to me that there is room for my bumper to be adjusted downwards a bit, but that the badge will always sit a little higher. I am currently not happy with the way it is looking and will eventually get it to a body shop to try to adjust it. I love the badge itself, but almost wish it wasn't even there.