First Time Hawk Owner w/ quests....

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

b34tgnu2

First Time Hawk Owner w/ quests....

Post by b34tgnu2 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:15 pm

I just purchased my first Hawk its a 1995 model Red w/ tan leather 6speed its high milage and could use some TLC but i feel like its a good project car. First thing i want to go through and refresh is the suspension. I am looking for the size of of the Sway bars on the front and rear so i can purchase new polyurathane ones. Can anyone hlp me out what i seem to have found is 35mm front and 22mm rear is this correct... thanks in advance.

BLACK-HAWK

Re: First Time Hawk Owner w/ quests....

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:54 pm

i personally don't know but check out www.rockauto.com . their online catalog might have what you are looking for.. now post up pictures of your firehawk or you're fired :mrgreen:
2001#194 (Unicorn)

lakeratiam

Post by lakeratiam » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:00 am

b34tgnu2 wrote:I just purchased my first Hawk its a 1995 model Red w/ tan leather 6speed its high milage and could use some TLC but i feel like its a good project car. First thing i want to go through and refresh is the suspension. I am looking for the size of of the Sway bars on the front and rear so i can purchase new polyurathane ones. Can anyone hlp me out what i seem to have found is 35mm front and 22mm rear is this correct... thanks in advance.
I am assuming you are wanting to replace the sway bar bushings, not the sway bars them selves? 19mm on the rear and 32mm on the front (RPO code FE2 for 95), unless your car has the Bilstein suspension. If that is the case then it's 21mm on the rear and 35mm on the front (RPO Y2Y I believe). Unless you want to grease them, get the black ones. Unlike the red ones the black ones are graphite filled which "lubricates" them and helps keep them moving freely and not squeaking.
I'm EVERYWHERE Dragan! :lol:

BLACK-HAWK

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:15 am

dang :( i have FE2: Touring Suspension system ride and handling... TIME FOR AN UPGRADED! :naughty: .. what's your hawk #? maybe it's in the registry
2001#194 (Unicorn)

b34tgnu2

Post by b34tgnu2 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:37 pm

My car is #42 and yes i have the bilstein shocks on my ride. Yea i wanted to keep the factory sway bars and just upgrade the bushings to get a more back to new ride and handling quality. Well i was gonna be fine with the 32mm & 19mm but i sure like the sound of the 35mm & 21mm... i will look up the RPO number on my car but i sure thank yall for the info so i can get this beast up and going in great shape.

b34tgnu2

Post by b34tgnu2 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:39 pm

Oh and where on the car do i look for the RPO code the glove compartment?? I just know i have the SLP order sheet and it has the Exhaust, Shifter, Floor mats, and suspension upgrade.

b34tgnu2

Post by b34tgnu2 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:54 am

Well my car has the bilstein but i looked in my glove compartment and i found the RPO FE2... i guess ill just have to measure the dang things.

lakeratiam

Post by lakeratiam » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:54 pm

b34tgnu2 wrote:Well my car has the bilstein but i looked in my glove compartment and i found the RPO FE2... i guess ill just have to measure the dang things.
That would probably be best. That way you know for sure. With the SLP build sheet saying you have the bilsien suspension unless someone has changed them they should be 35/21. Best to know for sure before you go and order parts.

SLPhawk

Post by SLPhawk » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:50 pm

Your car uses 1LE bushings. Go to the dealer and get 1LE spec bushings, anything off the shelf unless from a performance manufacturer like BMR or someone will be a down grade.
FAOA member since Dec. 99

lakeratiam

Post by lakeratiam » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:12 pm

SLPhawk wrote:Your car uses 1LE bushings. Go to the dealer and get 1LE spec bushings, anything off the shelf unless from a performance manufacturer like BMR or someone will be a down grade.
Didn't know the dealers still had any 1LE stuff. What do you think about Energy Suspension Products?

SLPhawk

Post by SLPhawk » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:58 pm

lakeratiam wrote:
SLPhawk wrote:Your car uses 1LE bushings. Go to the dealer and get 1LE spec bushings, anything off the shelf unless from a performance manufacturer like BMR or someone will be a down grade.
Didn't know the dealers still had any 1LE stuff. What do you think about Energy Suspension Products?

Some may, you're going to have to find a dealer willing to properly search as most 1LE stuff has the same "primary" part number and requires the dealer to dig a little deeper.

Other than that you may want to try SLP as they had a large stock of 1LE parts at one time and may have some extras.
FAOA member since Dec. 99

red70judge

Post by red70judge » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:11 pm

Just talked to SLP yesterday and they do not have any sway bar bushings left in stock.
Told SLP person I had a '99 Hawk with the Bilstein suspension and he "thought" it was
21mm. Can anyone confirm or add to this info? GM sticker on door shows FE2 and that is
standard on all base Trans Ams. Our '01 T/A WS-6 has the FE4. GM still has the FE4 bushings
and quite costly (Don't know size of those either). My chinese tape equates 21mm to 13/16"
if any help. So where do I get the correct bushings? Thanks in advance. Jim

lakeratiam

Post by lakeratiam » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:52 pm

red70judge wrote:Just talked to SLP yesterday and they do not have any sway bar bushings left in stock.
Told SLP person I had a '99 Hawk with the Bilstein suspension and he "thought" it was
21mm. Can anyone confirm or add to this info? GM sticker on door shows FE2 and that is
standard on all base Trans Ams. Our '01 T/A WS-6 has the FE4. GM still has the FE4 bushings
and quite costly (Don't know size of those either). My chinese tape equates 21mm to 13/16"
if any help. So where do I get the correct bushings? Thanks in advance. Jim

You probably have a 21 mm rear bar. The only way to know for sure is to measure your bar(s) with a caliper. Even a cheap one would be adequate for this instance. If you don't want to buy a caliper, then maybe stop by a local machine shop or auto parts store and ask them to measure them for you. Don't be surprised if a good digital caliper shows it (the rear bar) to be 20.97 mm or something else very close to the spec'd 21mm. You could also use a 21mm open end wrench, by putting it over the bar very close to the bushing. If it fits snug, without having to be forced on the bar, then it is a 21mm bar. If it fits loose, try a smaller size wrench.
I bought a set of 21mm after market bushings last year from Hawks as I couldn't find the 1LE bushings at that time either. The ones they sell are urethane, so they are a little higher durometer or "stiffer" than the original 1LE bushings. Expect the car to respond a little quicker and maybe feel a little more of the road with these. There are other sources out there as well but I can't list non vendors. PM me if you want. As for the FE4 bushings, not real sure about those. Hope this helps. :)

red70judge

Post by red70judge » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:12 am

Thanks for all your help lakeratiam. These posted topics help
out greatly when our F body cars are fading into the sunset
rapidly as far as replacement parts and service is concerned.

BLACK-HAWK

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:48 pm

rock on!
2001#194 (Unicorn)