Firehawk exclusive, underhood forced-air induction system

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

zmaro

Firehawk exclusive, underhood forced-air induction system

Post by zmaro » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:08 pm

In this link http://firehawk.org/header/1695.html it says that one of the standard Firehawk upgrades included a "Firehawk exclusive, underhood forced-air induction system." I was wondering what this is. I see that on my car it appears as though the previous owner did the "free ram-air" mod, but I was wondering if this could be the "Firehawk exclusive, underhood forced-air induction system" or just simply the "free ram-air." Any insight would be great!
Thanks
'01 Formula Hardtop

redhawk

Re: Firehawk exclusive, underhood forced-air induction syste

Post by redhawk » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:00 pm

Thats a really good question. Well, we know its not the Donaldson Blackwing airlid since it wasn't available in 2001. Could it be the way the Firehawk hood is made on the underside that allows air to flow thru to airlid? I'm curious to find out the correct answer to your question.
Anybody else have any insight?
2002 Trans Am Firehawk Vert #25 Red w/Ebony Interior w/M6 1 of 19 built
2002 Trans Am Firehawk T-top #162 Sunset Orange Metallic w/Camel Interior 1 of 7
1978 Trans Am Martinique Blue w/Black Deluxe Interior Owned since 7/82

zmaro

Post by zmaro » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:53 pm

Bump with a picture of what mine looks like.
'01 Formula Hardtop

PontiacFan

Post by PontiacFan » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:40 am

Looks like the previous owner cut out all the typical GM stuff under the filter.
That is not the way they come from the factory.
When people add the SLP 'Cold Air Kit', that stuff is usually cut out so it brings in more fresh air from the underside of the car.
Such as;
http://www.slponline.com/view_product_s ... IG=21046-1

See if you can see any visual history of one of these kits installed in there before you bought it.
Because they may have removed it & sold it off seperately before selling the car.

zmaro

Post by zmaro » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:35 pm

PontiacFan wrote:Looks like the previous owner cut out all the typical GM stuff under the filter.
That is not the way they come from the factory.
When people add the SLP 'Cold Air Kit', that stuff is usually cut out so it brings in more fresh air from the underside of the car.
Such as;
http://www.slponline.com/view_product_s ... IG=21046-1

See if you can see any visual history of one of these kits installed in there before you bought it.
Because they may have removed it & sold it off seperately before selling the car.
No signs that I could see, no scratches and the paint looks mint. Im assuming they just did the "free ram air" mod. Anyone have a picture of what the bottom of the air box looks like from the factory on a Hawk? Is it the same as any other LS1 4th gen, and do they look the same as the V6's?
'01 Formula Hardtop

PontiacFan

Post by PontiacFan » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:57 pm

zmaro wrote:Anyone have a picture of what the bottom of the air box looks like from the factory on a Hawk? Is it the same as any other LS1 4th gen?
Yes, same.
The air intake system, upper-airbox, lower-airbox/radiator-support, silencer-box, etc., in the stock GM/OE layout was the same on all LSx-based V8/Formula/TransAm/Firehawk/Z28/SS vehicles.
(Except for the obvious 'raised' or larger/taller opening on the lower rad-support on the WS6 cars, & the addition of the Donaldson airlid on the late '02's.)