Need advice for a firehawk hood!

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

FirebirdCrossover

Need advice for a firehawk hood!

Post by FirebirdCrossover » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:36 pm

Hey guys, I recently bought a 2000 firehawk hood and I have a ton of questions too ask, and I was hoping you guys could be the ones to answer them!

So too start, How do I know if the hood itself is authentic? The one I purchased is made out for fiberglass with what looks like a number under the hood on the right side.

The hood should bolt right on correct, minus trimming the bumper.

My next question is I need to modify my bumper on my firebird for this new hood to fit, so what are some good ways at approaching that? and would it work/look right without trimming the bumper?

Also, would a ram air box work on the 3.8l v6?

I think that's all my questions, I would appreciate as much advice/help that I can get, thanks guys!

PontiacFan

Re: Need advice for a firehawk hood!

Post by PontiacFan » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:04 pm

FirebirdCrossover wrote:Hey guys, I recently bought a 2000 firehawk hood and I have a ton of questions too ask, and I was hoping you guys could be the ones to answer them!

So too start, How do I know if the hood itself is authentic? The one I purchased is made out for fiberglass with what looks like a number under the hood on the right side.

The hood should bolt right on correct, minus trimming the bumper.

My next question is I need to modify my bumper on my firebird for this new hood to fit, so what are some good ways at approaching that? and would it work/look right without trimming the bumper?

Also, would a ram air box work on the 3.8l v6?

I think that's all my questions, I would appreciate as much advice/help that I can get, thanks guys!
Authenticy - I don't know, but someone here will.
Bolt on - Correct
Trimming - If I were you, I'd install the hood & lower it to a point just 'over' the front bumper & scribe a line.
Then use a dremel tool, rotary saw, jigsaw (which would leave a rough edge.), or some other method of cutting along the line. (I would imagine that SLP most likely had a template to do so many, back in the day, ..., but not sure what they actually used to cut them.)
And no, it wouldn't look right without trimming in my opinion, as it would push down on the 'nostril' areas. I did see a car with the Firehawk hood & a replacement bumper on it back in 2006 or 7 at the Rally, that hadn't done the trimming.
Ram Air Box - There have been people that have modified the v6 cars to accept the v8 airbiox. The biggest issue is the offset inlet on the v6, to the center inlet of the v8.
Search LS1Tech.com for detailed information & possibly actual photos.

Did the hood come with the latch-pull mechanism?!?
If not, ..., Good luck, ...
If so, ..., You got lucky!

FirebirdCrossover

Post by FirebirdCrossover » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:59 am

Thank you for all the helpful information. I had no clue about the hood latch thing, and I have been searching all around to find one but no luck. I'm probably just going to have my buddy who owns a machine shop make one for me. I planned on doing what you said as far as trimming as well. Probably just going to use the dremmel. When you say offset for the inlet you mean that ram air boxes is larger than the stock Firebirds?

Thanks, Chris

PontiacFan

Post by PontiacFan » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:28 am

FirebirdCrossover wrote:When you say offset for the inlet you mean that ram air boxes is larger than the stock Firebirds?
No, I meant that the V6 inlet was not centered, but offset to the driver's side of the car.
Whereas the V8 inlet is centered to the engine/car.

Aren't the V6 air intakes offset to the side a bit?!?

FirebirdCrossover

Post by FirebirdCrossover » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:30 am

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-Chevrolet- ... #vi-ilComp

Do you know if this is the latch for the hood?

Oh, alright I see the problem now. Guess I should check the forums to see how other people have done it?